We have some great photoscanned ground materials in our library and in this video I'll show you how to make the most of them in 3DS Max with Arnold.
- Load in a Poliigon Material as normal either manually or via the material converter.
- Add in an Arnold Properties modifier via the modifier panel
- In the material editor, create a new bitmap node and load in the displacement texture for the material you've loaded. (The DISP16 variation is a 16bit image and offers better detail at the expensive of memory usage. Also, be sure to load the texture in using a 1.0 gamma value.)
- Drag the output from the node over to the modifier in the panel and input it into the displacement map texture slot within the Arnold Properties modifier.
- Within the same modifier enable subdivision at set the iterations to a sufficient number. (Start with something like 7 or 8 and lower it to improve performance and get the compromise that works for your scene.)
- Adjust the strength of the displacement via the height input.
If needed, you can watch our other video, Using Poliigon materials in 3DS Max with Arnold prior to this video.